Lake Tahoe is showing off this Saturday. The snowpack is healthy, the skies are cloudless and the temperature feels downright balmy. And tonight, local bands will really heat things up.
- Mojo Green, which is coming off a wild, rousing after-party for Lettuce, performs free at Whiskey Dick’s Saloon. The funky Reno band is part of a new weekly series at the midtown South Lake Tahoe venue.
- Downtown in Stateline, Taking Root, a reggae-based rock group from South Lake Tahoe will play at 9 p.m. in the Tavern at Lakeside Inn and Casino. This show also is free.
- At the 7800 Bar & Grill at Kirkwood, which presents free live music every Saturday night, will feature the Tahoe-Reno jam band Parslow Vibe.
- Up at North Shore, the Sextones debut in the Crystal Bay Casino, opening for the fast rising San Francisco group Con Brio. The show starts at 9 p.m. and the cover is $15. The Sextones are the former Mark Sexton Band, which had a soulful, knockout show last night at the Divided Sky.
- Across the street, in the Tahoe Biltmore, piano player Holly Bowling will perform her tribute to Phish, a band she has seen more than 300 times. She became obsessed by their famous rendition of “Tweezer” from Lake Tahoe on July 31, 2013. It led Holly to transcribe this 37-minute improvisational masterpiece note-for-note and arrange it for solo piano.
- Pato Banton also will appear at Tahoe on this holiday weekend. The reggae star appears Sunday night at Whiskey Dick’s Saloon.